The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Am I good enough to be an author???

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Am I good enough to be an author??? Empty
PostSubject: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 am

White Forest felt the cold icy walls that concealed her from the world, that made her unable to have friends, and that kept her in never ending lonely solitude. She walked barefoot to a small steal barred window to the outside world. She dreamt ever since she was stuck in this cold prison, which was ever since she was born. She noticed that the beautiful sunset was setting in. She loved this time of day, since it made up for all the colors she never had seen. Dimming sunlight slowly crept in her room and quickly retreated. She began to grow tired and laid down back on the floor with her large blanket. She awaited for a few moments for sleep to find her, and gradually to take her in. Her eyes started to close and she slowly yawned until sleep completely took her. She dreamed of an escape to her glimpse from the outside world. She then saw a older man's face, possibly in his fifties, speak to her.

He said, "Dear my young child, of the age of twelve. It is time you have escaped, but I must warn you, once you start to run, you cannot stop. I will train you over four days, if you choose to leave I will meet you in your dream again. If you choose to not, I will leave your world and leave you be."

He added, "Farewell, may we meet again."

She was about to add earnestly as he began to leave, "Please take me with you."

She continued dreaming of the outside world, little she knew, she was almost there.
Back to top Go down
Liao
Staff Admin
Liao

EXP : 8110
Birthday : 1995-05-22

Character Description
Position: Ba Sing Se Citizen
Nation: Earth Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 am

I guess.

I learnt punctuation like this (note commas, periods and capitals)

He said: "The ball has turned blue."
"The ball has turned blue," he said.
"The ball," he said, "it has turned blue!"
Back to top Go down
https://lastairbender.rpg-board.net

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:13 pm

I suppose, except I somehow feel you overused commas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 pm

You'll need to watch your grammar. (though I'm not one to talk) The way you talk is different from actual proper grammar.

As for the actual idea and the way you write is a little confusing to follow along with. I was unsure if the man was in her dream, with the way he was mentioned. Maybe spend a separate paragraph describing the dream of her escape and have it morph into the man talking to her.

Other than that seems like an interesting idea you got there.

If you want to be a writer, then write. Try writing something every day for a year as a challenge. It could be small, or a chapter of a story. Practice makes perfect.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:52 am

Actually, Yoora, the way you talk is no different than proper grammar.

Such as commas are like a pause in speech, along with periods.
Exclamation points emphasize what you're saying.

Alright, here are some tips I've picked up along the years.

-- If you want to be an author, don't write poems. They only worsen your grammar skills.

-- If you get confused about punctuation, repeat what you're trying to say in your head, then write.

-- And then the most basic rules, like capitalization and punctuation where they should be, 1st grade stuff.

Hang in there, and you'll be an author like me. :O

And to clarify a question that will most certainly come up later;

No, I'm not an official author. I just author some books that I like to type up, short stories of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:01 am

Other than grammar this isn't a crappy piece of writing, correct? (To all my critics, and yes I do appreciate it because it will help me grow and begin to write better.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 am

Quote :
White Forest felt the cold icy walls that sealed her from the world, that made her unable to have friends, and that kept her in never ending lonely solitude. She walked barefoot to a small steal barred window to the outside world. She had dreamed to be released from this cold prison ever since she was imprisoned here when she was born. She noticed that the beautiful sunset was setting in. She loved this time of day, since it made up for all the colors she never had seen. Dimming sunlight slowly crept in her room and quickly retreated. She began to grow tired and laid down back on the floor with her large blanket. She awaited for a few moments for sleep to find her, and gradually to take her in. Her eyes started to close and she slowly yawned until sleep completely took her. She dreamed of an escape to her glimpse from the outside world. She then saw a older man's face, possibly in his fifties, speak to her.

He said, "Dear my young child, of the age of twelve. It is time you have escaped, but I must warn you, once you start to run, you cannot stop. I will train you over four days, if you choose to leave I will meet you in your dream again. If you choose to not, I will leave your world and leave you be."

He added, "Farewell, may we meet again."

She was about to add earnestly as he began to leave, "Please take me with you."

She continued dreaming of the outside world, little she knew, she was almost there.

I edited the top a tad.
And I'm still a bit confused on the dream / real world connection here. Is the man that told her to escape real or what? If so, how would he know her age?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 am

This is the mystique of the story to keep you reading... but yes he is real later on. (I didn't plan to write any more. So I just wrote from the moment and how I felt when I wrote it although an interesting twist would be if he was created by an illusion by an evil man who wanted to use her as an weapon.... which could explain why she was imprisoned.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I good enough to be an author???   Am I good enough to be an author??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I good enough to be an author???
Page 1 of 1