The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Calm before the Storm [closed]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

EXP : 11135
Birthday : 1992-06-29

Character Description
Position: Fire Lord
Nation: Fire Nation

The Calm before the Storm [closed] Empty
PostSubject: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 am

Tarek Raiden

Sitting in a meditative position in the beautiful and peaceful gardens of the Fire Nation Royal Palace, most people would have thought Firelord Tarek was just resting or relaxing.  But in reality, Tarek wasn’t even really there.  He had left his body to journey into the spirit world.  This was a regular occurrence, as he enjoyed fellowship with the spirits, however this time something was different.  Slowly but surely something was changing in the world around him.  More and more dark spirits were popping up all over the place, like a poison was affecting the whole world.  The tendrils of chaos were spreading, and a great darkness was looming.  Tarek sensed a storm was coming, and it was for this reason that Tarek decided to journey deep into the spirit world to discover the root of this approaching evil that nagged at the back of his mind.

Tarek reached out with his senses, feeling a great concentration of spiritual energy and began walking.  He eventually reached and a beautiful and peaceful glade.  It was impossible to say how far he had travelled, or how long it took to get there as time and distance were irrelevant in the spirit world.  One step could take you miles and one day could be like a thousand years.  He looked around the glade, there was definitely something, or someone, close by.  That’s when he spotted a figure in the distance.  He walked closer, and could soon see a person meditating.  Tarek knew many spirits, but did not recognize this man.  If he was even a man at all, some spirits took the form of humans after all.  

“Greetings friend,” said Tarek as he walked closer, “I did not mean to interrupt your meditations, but I was searching for something and was drawn here to you,” he continued sitting down to face the stranger.

Mood:  Calm
Condition: Healthy

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

EXP : 5160

Character Description
Position: Dark Avatar
Nation: Air Temples

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 2:16 am

Elegys

A gust of wind blew through the peaceful clearing, causing the leaves on the surrounding trees to rustle. Elegys shifted slightly where he sat, legs crossed with his hands placed gently upon them. How long he had been there, even he didn’t know – for some reason, the glade had drawn him to it, and curiosity had made him wait for whatever might be coming.

The Airbender sensed the disturbance as soon as the man arrived. The man was strong; there was no doubt about that – both spiritually and physically, if his assumptions were correct. Elegys closed his eyes and reached out with his senses, feeling the man approach from behind and make his way around the meditating monk. As he sat down, the monk let out a soft sigh. And so the game was to begin.

”Do not be so hasty to seek friendship, traveller,” he muttered, barely audible in the soft wind that still whistled around the pair. ”And you interrupted nothing; I’ve been waiting for somebody, I just didn’t know it would be you.” He opened his eyes and a soft smirk crawled onto his face. ”Fire Lord.”

”Do tell me, My Lord, what is it that you seek? I am but a humble monk, and have little in the way of material possessions that the Fire Nation can claim for their own. If it is enlightenment you seek, perhaps I can help; maybe you seek to follow the teachings of the nomads and give up all your worldly possessions and titles? You certainly have the hair for it, friend.”

Mood: Scheming
Condition: Spirit

Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 am

Tarek Raiden

Tarek carefully studied the spirit of the man before him as he spoke, watching his every expression and movement.  He needed to know all he could about the mysterious and obviously very powerful stranger before him, as he was still not completely sure why he was led to this man. “In dark times like these I would much sooner seek new friendship, than make new enemies,” said Tarek in reply to the stranger’s opening statement, “but you have me at a disadvantage, you know who I am, but I do not know anything about you?”

When the stranger asked Tarek what he sought, he considered his response for a moment before answering.  After all, he still wasn’t sure if this person before him would help or hinder him.  “I do not seek material riches, titles or power…for these things are like dust in the winds of eternity.” He said in a solemn tone before smiling at the stranger’s remark about his hair, “and my hair, or lack thereof, is simply a coincidence, I have no intention of becoming a monk.”

Tarek paused before continuing, “A shadow has formed in my mind, like a great evil is stirring in the unknown reaches of the spirit world.  Its darkness is slowly growing and it stretches out the tendrils of chaos to ensnare those who are weak-willed and susceptible to its influence.  Evil spirits have become commonplace and what harmony and peace is left in the world is vanishing…becoming replaced by anger, greed and hatred.  It is the source of the darkness that I seek…for I fear that if it is ignored, the world as we know it will end.”

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Elegys

”My name is not important, Fire Lord. I act not for myself but for the greater good of the entire world, your own nation included. But, if it pleases you, you may call me Elegys.”

The Airbender crossed his arms over his chest, his muscles bulging against his pale skin. ”Of course you don’t; why would one seek for what they already have? You are one of the most influential and powerful people in the entire world, what else could you possibly need?” he said, scoffing slightly. He looked the Fire Lord straight in the eyes, tracing the scar upon his face with his vision. ”But you are no stranger to defeat, that much seems certain. I wonder, then, how you will hold up in the face of the winds of eternity.”

A thin smile appeared on the monk’s face. ”Evil is a very absolute word; there are many today that still consider the Fire Nation to be evil, but I am sure that you would disagree. Chaos in itself is neither good nor evil; it is, like many other things, a force of nature, and may be wielded by anybody who cares to try – as our very own Avatar has shown us,” Elegys said, trailing off slightly. He sighed softly before picking up the conversation once more. ”The world as we know it is not something concrete that must be maintained – it changes every day, and you must be willing to accept that change when the time comes, or you will be swept away. The only constant in anything is the need for balance – which I will maintain.”

Elegys felt a faint whispering in his ear and couldn’t help but grin as he recognised the familiar presence of Galaad. The wind picked up around the pair and the Airbender looked up into the quickly darkening sky. The World Order will be shaken, that much is true – it is for you to decide whether you will grow with the new or die with the old, Fire Lord.”

Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Tarek Raiden

Tarek gave the man a small nod of courtesy when he mentioned his name.  He had not heard of this monk before, but something told him he would play a large role in events to come.  “Yes, I suppose I do have everything I will ever need, though that was not always the case… but I am just a man who has been giving the chance as Fire Lord to atone for the past sins of my people and make the world I leave behind a better place than it was when I arrived,” he started, closing his eyes before continuing, “and yes I have had my fair share of defeats in this life...but what is man without a crucible to forge him?   A piece of coal is worthless, but has the potential to become a diamond under the right conditions…iron pulled from the earth is weak in its raw form, but can be forged into unyielding metal if worked properly.  I am who I am today because of the trials I overcame, not because of my birth right or anything else.  My life and legacy is already weaved into the threads of eternity…it is my choice however, whether what I leave behind will inspire or shame future generations.”

Tarek took a deep breath before continuing.  “You are right; there is a distinction to be drawn between evil and chaos.  However, I believe you are incorrect in your definition of chaos.  Chaos is not a force of nature…chaos is nature incarnate.  The purpose of man is to bring order to the chaos of nature, resulting in harmony.  The world is like a garden; left alone it would become overgrown, wild and chaotic.  Fortunately that is where we come in.  The human race maintains the garden and keeps it from becoming wild and overgrown, bringing order to the chaos; in return the garden nourishes us and gives us all we need.  This symbiotic relationship is true balance.  In short, we destined to subdue nature’s chaotic nature, not add to it.  Order makes a distinction between good and evil…the problem with chaos however, is that it makes no such distinction at all.  Where chaos is concerned, good and evil do not exist.”

Tarek grinned, “and concerning the Avatar…Zulera may seem chaotic, but she is simply very difficult to understand or read.  I believe her motives however, are pure.  I know she will choose the right path in the end…” he said before suddenly trailing off, opening his eyes for a moment.  He could immediately feel that another presence was nearby, though it had not yet revealed itself.  The wind also started to pick up and the sky started to darken.  Tarek immediately looked back at Elegys, who it would seem, had just issued an ultimatum in the form of a veiled threat.  He had just realized that the growing darkness he had been feeling for so long had something to do with this monk. “Tell me then, monk...what is this new world order, and how will you possibly be able to usher it in?”

Condition: Healthy

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Elegys

The nomad nodded slightly, conceding that what the Fire Lord said was partially true. At the man’s last question, Elegys found himself smirking slightly. ”The new world order is a simple one, Fire Lord; one where every man must account for his own actions, and nobody is a slave to their so called leader. I wish only for balance. True balance, my Lord, not the false balance that has descended upon the world of late. This industrial revolution that has been occurring is harmful not only to the environment and the mortal realm, but also to the spirits – their connection will begin to fade, which is why their activity has increased. They want to prevent it as much as I do, and I have their support. Yours is not necessary, but your destruction is not compulsory.”

At this, the scene darkened again and one of the trees behind Elegys started to turn a deep purple colour. He glanced at it for a second before turning back to the Fire Lord. ”It seems my sponsor has arrived. I’m sure he’d be happy to meet you, my Lord.”

The purple tree began to shimmer for a second before it started compressing. After a few seconds, it had taken on a strange blob-like form coloured purple with dots of black. It moved forwards on unseen legs towards the pair and the sky began to turn slightly purple as lightning forks moved across it. ”Ah, Fire Lord Tarek. It is my honour to meet you. What brings you here today?”

The Airbender rose to his feet and stepped back, crossing his arms. The spirit moved forwards and Elegys nodded to it in greeting. ”This is Galaad – he’s the one who found me, who showed me what my true destiny is.”

[/color]
Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 9:54 am

Tarek Raiden

Tarek’s eyes never left Elegys as he spoke.  “He knows about the industrial revolution,” he thought to himself, “so he must have been in contact with the Avatar then.”
 Tarek of course knew this because the Avatar was a very close personal friend, and she had only recently told him about the revolution.  Whatever the case, Tarek completely disagreed with Elegys, not so much in his beliefs about the world becoming unbalanced, but more in his chosen method of attempting to restore the balance.  Elegys firmly believed in what he was telling Tarek though, and Tarek respected a man who stood fast with his beliefs.  However, something was wrong, Tarek could not tell exactly what was wrong, but as the scenery around the two individuals started changing it started to dawn on Tarek.  The purple tree which started to move about strangely and the words of Elegys suddenly fitted together, and immediately it all made sense to Tarek, “Galaad…” he whispered in a low voice.

“I know who he is,” responded Tarek after the ‘introductions’, “so Galaad…you have finally found an open vessel to spew your ignorance into?” He asked directly at Galaad.  He might have not ever met the spirit before, but after almost 30 years of travelling to and studying the spirit world, Tarek knew very much about its patrons.  He then turned back to Elegys, “this spirit has deceived you.  The world is changing, industrial revolution is coming, but you don’t usher in balance with bloodshed.  Galaad’s ignorance makes it fear what it does not understand, just like mortals fear the spirit world which they don’t understand.  Free yourself from his ignorance Elegys… change is inevitable but instead of fighting it, you can have a hand in it, guiding its growth and progress in order to ensure that it will not throw the world out of balance.  The world is not completely helpless; there are those of us who seek to retain harmony, but through pure actions and definitely not at the cost of peace.” Said Tarek, holding out a White Lotus Pai Sho tile. It represented an ancient and secret order of guardians, of which Tarek was a Grandmaster. The order had not revealed itself again after Aang fought Ozai, but Tarek felt it was the right time, and hopefully something that would convince Elegys that there were like-minded people in the world, who wanted balance as well as he did.  

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Elegys

The Airbender couldn’t help but slightly shake his head as the Fire Lord spoke. ”Sometimes bloodshed cannot be avoided – people have had enough opportunities to change their ways, and now we need to make them change; by force if necessary. Your words alone are not enough to make people change their ways. People have tried again and again, but now it’s time to succeed.”

When Tarek held out the Pai Sho tile, Elegys smiled. He reached out a hand and picked it up, passing it over between his fingers. It was a White Lotus, and the monk knew exactly what it meant. The Order of the White Lotus was a secret order that transcended the boundaries of the four nations, devoted to the sharing of knowledge across all nations.

”The White Lotus has certainly been quiet of late; some are saying that they are in hiding, a broken community that no longer has meaning or purpose. The Order has crumbled since the death of Ozai – now I must act alone. Unless…” Elegys grinned. ”Unless you are offering me your allegiance as both Fire Lord and member of the Order?”

Galaad laughed behind the nomad; he had grown closer to the pair and now floated very close to Elegys. ”Change is coming, Fire Lord; we are not fighting it, but guiding it in the right direction. I thought that you were an intelligent man, Raiden – obviously I was wrong.”

Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Tarek Raiden

Tarek sighed out deeply.  “I thought an airbender of all people would understand that all life is sacred.  You want people to change, but choice and free will is in their hands, not yours or mine.  We are every one of us, masters of our own fates.  How can any one man decide what is the best path for humanity as a whole, when he takes away the very thing that makes us human…choice… ” said Tarek solemnly.  

Tarek watched as the airbender passed the tile dextrously between his fingers.  “The White Lotus stays quiet for generations if need be.  We are not enforcers of our beliefs and do not get involved in politics or the day to day happenings of the world.  Rather, we offer wisdom and guidance in pursuit of harmony and balance, and we are guardians of the peace of the world as a whole.  We never pick the interests of one nation over another as we are all connected.  If you believe the order has crumbled, then we have done a good job of keeping the order secret.” He continued with a smile.

When Elegys asked Tarek where his allegiances lay.  Tarek took a deep breath, and stared at the airbender for a moment.  Then Galaad spoke, and Tarek instantly shot a glare towards the spirit.  “Spew your venomous nonsense at someone else, for you waste them on me.  Your petty insults only do you further discredit,” said Tarek in an authoritative voice.  He then turned back to Elegys, “In another life, perhaps we could have been friends…but you have chosen a dark path which I cannot follow.  I will not help you and Galaad in your schemes, and should you pursue them, then I regret that I will have to stand to oppose you along with my allies.” Said Tarek with a frown.

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Elegys

When the Fire Lord turned upon Galaad, Elegys couldn’t help but smile. It appeared that Tarek’s anger had finally been brought to the forefront; the Fire Lord would struggle to contain his emotions after even one burst of anger.

”Your sugar-coated ideals are worth little in the new world, Fire Lord. Oppose me as you will, but know that if you do so then you shall pay dearly for it; maybe not personally, but I will find a way to make you pay. Your own talents are numerous, but what of those of your family? Your children? Know that nothing will stop me now, Fire Lord; the endgame is approaching, and it might just be Game Over for the world as you know it.”

The area darkened again until it was difficult for either of the men to see. Galaad continued to glow purple, and seemed to be growing as the darkness increased.

”Run home, little Raiden. Your family needs you…”

As he spoke, images seemed to appear out of the darkness. The first was a tall, slender woman with black hair and a pair of glazed golden eyes. Her eyes seemed to look around in fear, but they didn’t seem to focus on anything – it looked as if she was blind. Five children were dotted around her, two males and three females, with the two oldest children seemingly glancing evilly at something that appeared to surround them. Fear crossed all of their faces, even the young baby who was held by one of the other children.

The figures seemed to be covered in a fog, and after a few seconds they began to fade into the darkness. ”Your time is running short. If you are not there to protect your family, then what will happen to them?”

Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Tarek Raiden

[ooc – I made the fog have a similar effect to the Fog of Madness from the show on Tarek, just let me know if you didn’t want it like or whatever, I just felt it would help break down Tarek a little more as his family has been threatened before (and he kept calm)]

Tarek wasn’t angry in the slightest; instead he simply treated the scheming spirit as something unworthy of his respect or consideration.  He spoke harshly, but with calm authority and a strong will against the shadowy presence.  Tarek had mastered his emotions long ago, and it would take a lot more than the words of a conniving spirit and his puppet to awaken Tarek’s rage.

Unfortunately, it seemed Galaad and Elegys had more tricks up their sleeves.  When it was apparent that Tarek would not join the two in their schemes, Elegys threatened the one thing that Tarek held most dear…his Family.  The Spirit Galaad even conjured up images of them, dark and menacing, intended to stir up Tarek’s emotions.  Tarek’s eyes widened and his heart rate increased.  He watched as the visions of his wife and children filled with fear and began to fade into darkness.  It seemed so real and the fog started making Tarek feel like he couldn’t breathe.  His mind started to doubt himself, and for the first time in years, he felt fear, anger and despair stir up within him.  The maddening fog itself seemed to whisper threats in his ear which made the Fire Lord feel even more helpless.  Galaad was obviously more powerful than Tarek first believed.  

A battle raged within Tarek as the visions induced paranoia in the Fire Lord.  Galaad’s attack was powerful, but Tarek’s mind and spirit was not so easily overwhelmed. “No…” Tarek whispered under his breath, using all his will to shake of the effects of the fog and visions. “not true…just a trick…nothing is real…” he continued, obviously struggling hard to shake off the impressions the vivid images left.  How did they know so much about him, his family and his one weakness.  How long have they been planning.  “What have…you done?” he asked trying to make sense of the unnatural confusion and strong emotions he was being overwhelmed with.

Mood:  Confused

Last edited by Tarek on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 am

Elegys

When the Fire Lord became visibly distressed, Elegys turned to look at Galaad. He had not known the spirit wielded such power, and was unsure if doing this to Tarek was a good idea. Deciding that it was out of his hands, he took a step back and Galaad moved forwards.

”That which you fear most will soon come to pass, Tarek Raiden. Raikou was nothing compared to what is coming for you now; those you love are not safe, and will soon pay the ultimate price. Your friends will abandon you, and your family will crumble.”

The fog swirled again, but this time there was only a single figure – the golden eyed lady from earlier. She was down on her knees and looked pleadingly up at the Fire Lord, terror clear on her face. A shadow loomed over her and blood was splattered all over her clothes. She let out a scream, but no sound permeated the grove in which they stood. Her silent shout seemed to last for hours until she fell to the side and disappeared.

”If you fight, those you hold dear will be the ones who suffer. But there is always an escape – run, Fire Lord; run and hide, and protect your family. Run and hide, or we will come for you.”

Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Tarek Raiden

The Fire Lord struggled against the hallucinations for what seemed to be an eternity.  Time worked strangely in the spirit world after all.  Galaad’s voice echoed menacingly through the fog, his words piercing Tarek’s very soul.  The more Tarek tried to resist, the more it hurt.  The image of Sanaki, bloodied and helpless nearly pushed Tarek over the edge and her scream echoed in his mind for what seemed like hours.  He reached out to her tears pouring down his cheeks, but he just couldn’t get to her.  He called to her but she didn’t respond and eventually she just fell over and disappeared.  Tarek wasn’t sure about anything anymore, he felt like a child again, powerless and weak.  

Fortunately a glimmer of hope appeared for Tarek when through his despair he spotted the Pai Sho tile he handed to Elegys earlier, still in the airbender’s hand.  In a single moment of clarity, the tile reminded him of who he was.  Tarek shut his eyes and crossed his legs before taking a deep breath.  “I am Tarek Raiden,” he whispered to himself, “I am at peace,” he continued.  “I will not fear the unknowable future…I will not let shame and guilt replace love…I reject these lies and refuse to believe them…I will embrace the truth…” he said before pausing, “…there is no death…there is only harmony with the universe…”

As Tarek said those words his eyes opened, and a strange orange energy began to radiate from him.  The fog around him began to dissipate and Tarek felt his mind being freed from Galaad’s hold.  He slowly stood to his feet, radiating energy as he became balanced within himself once more.  “I underestimated you Galaad...You are more powerful than I thought.” he said, his voice sounding slightly modulated as his spiritual form pulsed with energy, “But you cannot win, for the nature of balance is this.  For all your power, there is equal power to oppose you.”  He continued, starting to return to normal.  

Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Elegys

”You know nothing of power, Raiden; you can see but a glimpse of my true self, my true power. And your statement works both ways, Fire Lord – you will never be able to overpower us, no matter how hard you may try.”

The spirit started to shrink slightly, and the lighting in the glade started to turn back to its usual brightness. Elegys stepped forwards, extending the Pai Sho tile towards the Fire Lord.

”So you have chosen the way of pain. So be it; you will gain nothing, but stand to lose everything. Such is your decision.”

Before Tarek could reach out for the tile, the nomad turned his hand and the tile fell to the ground with a soft thud. The monk’s body began to shimmer and fade, and after a second both he and Galaad had disappeared, leaving the Fire Lord alone to brood over his thoughts.

Upon the deck of a ship, Elegys opened his eyes. He rose to his feet and looked at his companion, who appeared to have been looking over the body. ”He is unmoving, as we knew he would be. He is yours to deal with now, my friend.”

”Excellent. I’ll be sure to be… Extra hospitable,” Chief Nelekar replied.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Calm before the Storm [closed]   The Calm before the Storm [closed] Empty

Back to top Go down

The Calm before the Storm [closed]
Page 1 of 1